12 Lessons from Trinidad Carnival and Tips for Surviving Your Next Carnival
Tips for Surviving Carnival in Trinidad
Playin’ mas, i.e. participating in carnival, has been on my bucket list for a while. I was finally able to cross off carnival as done in February 2020 when I went to Trinidad for carnival. As a first-timer, I knew there was a lot I did not know. Therefore, I did a lot of reading and talking to experienced feterans beforehand. However, there are still some lessons that I learnt the hard way and fortunately some I was prepared for because of my reading. Here are my top lessons and tips for anyone thinking of playing mas (in Trinidad):
- Tips for Surviving Carnival in Trinidad
- 1. Sunburn hurts and Trinidad sun nuh normal
- 2. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
- 3. Using the bathroom on the road will be a struggle
- 4. Beware of the lunchtime nap
- 5. Some group travel logistics
- 6. And some costume logistics
- 7. Also some packing logistics
- 8. What’s the rush?
- 9. Additional Tips for Surviving Carnival
Hopefully, some of these carnival tips and lessons are helpful to you for future carnival trips. I’m not a doctor so none of this is medical advice. You should obviously do what is best for you, medically and practically. If your favourite carnival tips/hacks were not included, do share them in the comments. I’d love to hear them.
Happy feting and carnival planning!